10-10:30 a.m. | Introduction
- Welcome – Dr. Kathy Murphy, President
- Acknowledgement of event sponsor(s) – Dean Pam Johnson
- Presentation of Colors – Gadsden High JROTC
- Pledge of Allegiance - Dr. Kathy Murphy
- National Anthem – Cody Cofield, trumpet Gadsden State Show Band
10:30 a.m. - Noon | Introduction to Your Community College/Veteran Aids, Services, and Resources
- How to enroll and application deadlines; Financial Aid – Kaiti Bolton, Student Services
- College Credit for past Military experience (Prior Learning Assessments) – Kaiti Bolton, Student Services
- Campus life – Lynn Patterson, Student Life
- Applying for VA education benefits/GI Bill – Sarah Aultman, Veterans Upward Bound
- Veteran Services – Sarah Aultman, Veterans Upward Bound
- Introduction to career programs and majors - Keri Wood, Learning Specialist – Workforce Development
- College Career Services - Keri Wood, Learning Specialist – Workforce Development
- Apprenticeship/work-based learning opportunities - Audrey Webb, ALAMAP Director
- Tutoring and student success supports – Melissa Davis, Student Support Services, Nakia Palmer, Educational Opportunity Center
Noon - 1 p.m. | Lunch for Military and their Families
- Introduction of Mayor Craig Ford and recognition of legislators – Dr. Kathy Murphy
- Mayor Ford and Legislator comments
- Recognition of sponsors/check presentation
Veterans in Industry Panel
- Moderator – Sarah Aultman
- Panelists – Carl Brady- Program Manager, East Alabama Works!; David Chain – Retired Veteran, Veterans Upward Bound Intern; DeeAnn Gunnels, VP of Marketing, Project Management Institute, Central Alabama Chapter; John Pinion – VA Outreach Coordinator
1-2 p.m. | Veteran Career Exploration and Resume Workshop
- Kerri Wood, Learning Specialist – Workforce Development
Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is a federally funded TRIO program designed to help veterans meet their academic and career goals. All services are FREE to eligible veterans.
This program has offices in Gadsden and Anniston, but VUB staff travel regularly to serve veterans in Blount, Calhoun, Cherokee, Clay, Cleburne, DeKalb, Etowah, Jefferson, Marshall, Shelby, St. Clair and Talladega counties.
Veterans can choose to participate in VUB classes or enroll in college courses. Both options are available online or in person. Program eligibility is not limited to veterans planning to attend Gadsden State.
Every veteran will be provided with an individualized action plan. VUB can provide a wide variety of services including assistance with educational benefits, academic preparation, computer skills training, financial management education and enrollment at the school of your choice. In addition, we also connect veterans with other resources including the Veterans Administration and local agencies who specialize in serving the veteran community.
FREE Veterans Services Include:
Academic Assessment & Advisement
Educational Benefits Information
Applying for Financial Aid / Scholarships
Assistance with College Enrollment
Career Planning & Exploration
Computer Skills Training
Financial Management & Planning
Other veteran related workshops
Participation in Community Service Projects
***Eligible veterans have the opportunity to receive a monthly stipend by participating in weekly VUB educational activities.
ONLINE APPLICATION NOW AVAILABLE
Visit any site location or email VUB at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gadsden Office: 256-549-8204
Anniston Office: 256-835-5481
Meet the Staff
|Academic Coordinator/Recruiter||Linda Morrisemail@example.com|
|Office Manager||Audra Allenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Educational Specialist||Rachel Houghtonemail@example.com|
|Site Coordinator||David Chainfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Site Coordinator||Marty Gwinemail@example.com|
Connect With Us
Through its Veterans Affairs Office, GSCC cooperates with the Veterans Administration and with students who receive V. A. benefits to ensure that the objectives of the V. A. are pursued to the fullest advantage to both parties. The policies and procedures followed by the College are explained in the College Regulations portion of this catalog. See also the information on the Alabama G. I. Dependents' Scholarship Program, presented under Financial Assistance.